Wednesday, January 20, 2010

We're HERE!!!!!!

SO, we left Memphis and arrived at JFK still uneasy about the visas. However, my Dad was awesome and called Delta as soon as he saw that the package had been delivered on the FedEx tracking. It was waiting for us at the Lost and Found in Terminal 3. We arrived in terminal 3, got our baggage and right next to that was the office where we got our FedEx package with our passports and visas!!! Praise the Lord!! Wes was a wreck until we had that in our hands. We went back to Delta, checked in for our international flight without a hitch and were at our gate an hour and a half ahead of flight time.

The flight to Moscow was fine...nothing too exciting. Neither of us could sleep very much...I don't think Wes slept at all. I slept a couple of hours. We got to Moscow, went through immigration and waited on our luggage about half an hour. We then walked through customs (no one was there that day) and saw our driver, Vladimir, standing with a sign with our name on it! He was great! He drove us right next door to our hotel where we had lunch, took a nap and a shower. He then picked us back up at 6:30 and took us back to the airport to check in for our domestic flight.

Our only problem was that we misunderstood the baggage requirements for the Russian domestic airlines. We had our large checked bag less than 45 pounds, but they counted our rolling carry-ons as well. We could only have 45 pounds per person, and we were over by 13 pounds for Aeroflot. Anywho....we had to pay $50 to check it all. It made me a little nervous to check my rolling carry-on, b/c that's what I had all my important "stuff" in. My suite, some gifts, heating packs, gloves, boots....you get the picture.

Anyway, our overnight flight to Kras was great. We had a good meal (at 2:00 a.m. Kras time which was very strange to me), and I slept about 3 hours total I think. The plane was very nice...looked brand new on the inside. We arrived at 6:00 a.m. local time and our facilitators were there to greet us! She teased us for having so much luggage for the 3 days we are here! :)

They drove us and checked us into our hotel here. It's great....it reminds me of my accommodations in Africa when I went to visit Wes, but a bit nicer. Also, it's different here, b/c so many people smoke and it permeates everywhere. There aren't big guidelines on smoking sections.

We are here resting, and our facilitator will pick us back up at 2:00 p.m. to go to the Ministry of Education appt. Breakfast is included with our hotel stay, so we went down for that earlier. All the tables were at least partially occupied, and when we asked on man if we could sit at his table you could tell by his face he was NOT interested. He mumbled in Russian that the seat was taken. Reminded me of Forest Gump.......random thought I know.

Anyway, we are thrilled to be here and are adjusting amazingly well to the time change so far.

I'll try to post again tonight.....

4 comments:

  1. Wow - So glad you are there!! I have to tell you I just popped on your blog to see the time in Kras, and I just love this play by play of your trip! I have read it three times :) Love you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were told the breakfast was included but you actually do get charged for it(unless they have changed policy)...We decided we wanted it on trip one b/c we were so tired and needed easy access to breakfast. On trip 2, we saved by not buying the breakfast (tickets). On trip 2, you will save by being in an apartment, probably :)

    Praying for you as you sleep,

    Heather (1:37 a.m. your time and 1:37 p.m. my time!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a trip so far! I am so happy for you guys and can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I agree with HP, I love these updates! I am so glad things are going smoothly!!!! Take care and enjoy yourselves!! Love ya! becca

    ReplyDelete