Thursday, March 4, 2010

International Adoption Process = Emotional Torture

If you are every considering international adoption, let me tell you that you should be completely prepared for total emotional torture. That's the best way for me to describe my feelings lately. In my brain I know things are going to be unpredictable, so I don't know why I'm surprised when things go wrong.

While I was in Memphis this week, Wes got our letter from USCIS that we had been waiting on. He was excited to call me with good news. However, it didn't turn out that way. Instead of our hoped for Form I-171H, we received a request for more evidence. They asked us to send a home study addendum outlining our monthly income. They proceeded to state that our monthly expenses were listed, but not our monthly income. The most absolutely, horribly, frustrating part of all of this???? Our ANNUAL salaries are listed in the home study, not once, but TWICE!!!!!!!!! Can they not do simple division???? Maybe I should give them my niece's phone number, b/c I'm pretty sure she could do this math for them.

I emailed my social worker, and she said that she gets these kind of stupid requests from the Memphis office pretty often. She'll send them the addendum asap.

I'll never understand why this is so much harder than it should be.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry this is so frustrating. I cannot even imagine the emotional rollercoaster you guys are going through (not to mention a few other HUGE events going on- I heard the shop was going well!). We will be praying for you guys and are so excited to see how God is going to use all these obstacles to bring you such a precious gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Claire I am sooo sorry. This is the hardest part of the adoption process...it is torture! You are working so hard to get things completed as quickly as possible and yet there is problem after problem and only set backs. It feels like an uphill battle and emotions are running high. We had a similar experience. I 100% believe it is a spiritual battle and you are in the middle of warfare for this little soul and to bring this child home. Satan does not want this precious child to be plucked from his lonliness to be placed in a loving God centered family. But God does! And he is the victor!! As hard as it is keep on going. Be strong and take heart. It is so worth it and soon you will look back and marvel at the work of the Lord. I will truly be praying for you. Ephesians 6:10-17

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man! I am sad to hear that you had this problem with USCIS. I know God is going to be glorified in the removal of these remaining obstacles between you and your son. Having made it through Colin's adoption process, I can say that our family is a living testimony to God's handiwork and His faithfulness. I am thanking God in advance for how He is going to help you through your wait and how He is going to bring you all together as a forever family.

    heather
    www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete