Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Encouragement

I've run across the same verse twice within the past week, so I thought I would share.

"For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay." Habakkuk 2:3

The verse first appeared in my Streams in the Desert Bible study (it was on July 4 day, but I didn't read it until several days later). The second place this verse appeared to me was in an email I received from our family coordinator tonight. The email explained that she had taken a job at a local chuch and would be leaving our agency in a week. How sad and discouraging at the same time!!! This is the girl whom I've never met in person, but who has guided us through the entire adoption process so far. She has been very patient with me and all my many questions....she has been someone I have depended on this entire time. Of course, someone will be there to take her place when she leaves, but the uncertainty is still there.....

I decided to just go the the Bible and read Habakkuk (I would recommend this great short book...only 3 chapters) to get the full context of what the Lord wanted to teach me. Although his situation and discouragement stems from different context, he is asking God some tough questions as to why He is allowing certaing things to happen. The Lord answers him and lets him know that he is working behind the scenes and that He has a plan, He is in control and His timing is perfect (see verse above).

Once I read through the entire book, I also found this verse toward the end that was also a clear lesson:

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior." Habakkuk 17-18

Even though I can't see any current progress on the adoption, and even though I don't know when I'll hear anything, I can know that God is working and I should rejoice for the plan that He has for us as a family!!

3 comments:

  1. I read the Streams in the Desert devotional during our adoption process and it was such a blessing to me. I'm glad to hear that it spoke to you. I will be interested to hear what you learn from Habakkuk as I don't remember much about that book of the Bible. I'm wondering if maybe there is a referral in mind for you but he is just not eligible for adoption yet (they have to be available to Russians for 6 months, I think). Maybe that is what is holding up things a little. Praying God will make it clear to you when the time is right.

    God bless,

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you found the encouragement you need right now. I know that your sweet little boy has been handpicked by god and it will timed just right! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love thinking about this precious boy somewhere in an orphanage. Does he have any idea what a wonderful family God has planned for him? Surely he could not imagine it, and I hope he finds out soon what a lovely surprise is in store!

    ReplyDelete